Folk School Weekend


I spent the past weekend being an artist in residence at the Alabama Folk School at Camp McDowell near Jasper, AL. The above shot is from one of my hikes on the property, into a deep and mossy canyon. Camp McDowell is situated in the Bankhead National Forest, one of my favorite hiking destinations, and, honestly, one of the most beautiful forests in the world.


As an artist in residence, my job was to paint all day. This was my station, and looked out a large window over the forest. Heaven!


An afternoon hike in the forest led to this amazing overhang.


Clear Creek in the morning.


An evening concert by some of the music instructors. This weekend the focus was on acoustic guitar.


The outdoor shop where one of the instructors taught blacksmithing.


I'm on the board of the folk school, and we had an annual meeting after the weekend workshops ended. It's the only board meeting where members sit in rocking chairs on a porch and coon hounds (more than one!) come to visit. 


That evening the board convened at the home of Mark and Maggie, the directors of Camp McDowell. These board members are all well-known old-time and bluegrass musicians.


Mark and Maggie, and the yummy kabobs they cooked up.

Before coming home I took a morning hike in the forest again. 


I wish photos did this magical place justice. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creek Village Painting

Featured Artist at the ALCC: Chris Gryder