Painting, Ceramics, and...more?

I'm working on the final piece of my 12 panel series, Exhibit A: Paintings of Alabama Places. I am still enjoying the project three years in, so chances are I will continue to explore this theme after a nice break doing some fun and easy abstracts in my usual format.

This last work is based on Alabama's churches. Today I worked on the tile part of the piece, which have been a challenge so far. I've wanted to get the look of stained glass without having to actually do stain glass. I got so frustrated with trying ceramic look-alikes that I actually got a glass artist friend of mine to teach me how to make glass tiles. I quickly realized that learning a new medium (again) was a tall order to complete for one work of art. I finally (happily!) found a way to make ceramic tiles using a slip-trailing method (email my husband for specifics) that just might look pretty fantastic.

I love that after 25 years as a painter I get to explore new vistas of creativity with at least one other medium--clay. I've tried my hand at wood carving and now glass to get some new effects, but so far I've refuse to incorporate amateurish efforts into work that will have well-crafted painting sitting right up against it.

Another month or two and this big, wonderful Alabama adventure will be ready to show.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creek Village Painting

Featured Artist at the ALCC: Chris Gryder